BACK TO TOP

Monday 12 December 2016

The Dead Come Calling (The Wraith Files #2) by C.C. Wood



Blurb:

I'm Zoe Thorne and I speak to the dead. Unfortunately, dead isn't always synonymous with good-natured. In fact, most of the spirits I meet have dirty minds and a tendency to create mischief and mayhem.

For the past two months, I've been traveling with the cast of The Wraith Files, a paranormal investigation web show. Stony and Blaine are like the perverted, annoying brothers I never had. Our boss, Malachi Flemming, well, he makes my heart beat faster and my hormones dance.

During a break from filming, I've returned home to my resident ghost, Teri, an exotic dancer who died thirty years ago. I'm on a mission to find the man who murdered her and see that justice is served.

Preoccupied with my search for a killer, I'm unaware that something dark and twisted lies in wait for me. Not one, but two faceless entities intent on terrorizing me before moving in for the kill.

With unseen enemies shadowing my every move, it's time to discover how deep my abilities run. I need every bit of power I possess...or I'll be taking my place among the dead.

*This book contains a perverted ghost, two men who act like teenage boys, and lots of sarcasm.

Find on Goodreads


Purchase Links:





Kristine's Review:
Reviewed: December 2016.

As a self confessed non reader of the paranormal genre I always find myself at a bit of a loss with C.C. Woods books, there's something inherently special about her words, some magical culmination of her storylines, covers, and witty prose that have me so utterly invested that I can't put them down. The Wood Effect usually takes hold in the first chapters, it's in those initial pages that I forget about werewolves this and vampires that, it's when I don't even notice that a main character is a ghost, it's when I forget entirely that I have an aversion to the fantastical and just allow the Author to capture my imagination and take me wherever she pleases.

"I'm sick and tired of you using our working relationship as an excuse to deny our feelings for each other."
Right there is one of the many reasons I adore Wood's work, in between stories of fiction, some that absolutely profit on her ability to make believe is those brilliant reminders of the human condition. For those already introduced to the newest paranormal offering from Wood, you would of no doubt fondly remembered the slow burning chemistry of our hero and heroine. She created so wonderfully this smouldering connection between Mal and Zoe that it was palpable, you could feel it clawing it's way off the page, and yet much like it's predecessor, Don't Wake The Dead didn't rely on sexual intimacy to strengthen the story.

"I'm a man who knows what he wants and had the patience to wait for it."
I found myself devouring the pages, skimming in parts, not out of boredom but in desperation to know what came next, as the drama intensified, and the action increased I found myself restless and deliberately jumping ahead so I could get to the end quicker, for a usually fast reader, you can only imagine the utter excitement that was coursing through my veins as I absolutely devoured this book. Wood mixes her trademark wit with her ability to build tension perfectly here, Don't Wake The Dead was addictive, utterly impossible to put down. As Zoe frantically searched for Teri's murderer, and the pressure mounted, I found myself on the edge of the seat, yelling at my kindle like a childhood pantomime "look behind youuuuuuuu". Wood's latest offering was a breath of fresh air at a time when I find myself more and more underwhelmed by lackadaisical sex scenes that seem to only serve as filler. With a strong push toward character development and really crafting a story that I can't wait to continue, The Wraith Files has easily become one of my newest favourites.


  


About C.C. Wood:


A native Texan, C.C. grew up either reading or playing the piano. Years later, she’s still not grown up and doing the same things. Since the voices in her head never shut up, C.C. decided to share their crazy stories and started writing books.

Now that she has a baby girl at home, C.C.’s non-writing time is usually spent cleaning up poopy diapers or feeding the poop machine. Sometimes she teaches piano, cooks, or spends time bugging her hubby and two beagles.

Connect with C.C. on Facebook





No comments:

Post a Comment