BACK TO TOP

Tuesday 17 May 2016

The Spiral Down by Aly Martinez - Review

Blurb:

Standalone M/M romance.

I was afraid to fly.
He made me soar.


After years of climbing the ladder of success in the music industry, I finally had everything I could want.
Yet I still found myself wandering through life alone.

Captain Evan Roth was the one man I never saw coming.
Tall, dark, mysterious… Straight.

We were both damaged beyond repair and searching for something so elusive we weren’t sure it even existed.

But, when two broken souls collide in midair, falling is a given.

I just never expected to crave the spiral down.


Purchase Links:

Amazon US: http://amzn.to/1WBq1oi
Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/22ck2pW
Amazon CA: http://amzn.to/1TcpnwN
Amazon AU: http://bit.ly/1OuY9dz
Kobo: http://bit.ly/1TQX3Kx



Kristine's Review:
Reviewed: May 2016

When I say I loved The Fall Up it would be an understatement, see I didn't just love it, I adored it, I fell in love with Aly Martinez in that moment, The Fall Up earned itself a PLATINUM LIPSTICK and cemented it's place on my Favourite Books of All Time List, to say I was excited for The Spiral Down again would again be an understatement, to say I had high expectations...well again massive understatement, I may have squealed when I opened my kindle to find it waiting for me, it was with excitement and trepidation that I turned to the first page... I'll be honest in those first pages I didn't particularly like Henry Alexander, sure he was funny as hell, but in those first moments when he was cocky and the consummate playboy I didn't particularly like him, I told myself I wouldn't fall under his charms, I was resolute, I was determined, Evan Roth was going to be my main man and I was going to quietly...okay nothing I do is quietly...dislike Henry... I'm quite stubborn when I want to be, it's my Taurean pride at stake after all...but as much as I fought it, as much as I tired...I JUST COULDN'T HATE HENRY! He was so darn suave, and confident, and funny, so damn funny that I found myself laughing out loud and his quips and quick witted come backs, his relationship with Carter, with Levee, with Sam, but what truly dragged me over to the dark side was the pulling back of layer after layer of this complex man, I may not have been a huge fan of Henry Alexander every moment, but Henry Gilchrist...well he stole my heart.

"But there was one thing I knew; I wasn't wrong for being who I was."

Now, I might be going against the grain here, I know The Spiral Down was supposed to be Henry's book, but Evan Roth was the hero for me, everything about him absolutely dragged me in, I was invested immediately, I was desperate to learn more about him, it was like a shot to the nervous system, I was hooked, I craved his point of view, his words, his thoughts, and the more I read, the more I discovered, the more I fell in love with him, his inner most thoughts struck a chord deep inside and I got it, I got him, I relished that feeling, revelled in the way his words resonated.

"Or, more likely, he'd be the earthquake that was going to break me down before swallowing me whole. Either way, I wasn't going to be left standing. I just had to decide how long I wanted to fight."

There is so much here I want to tell you about, so many scenes that I have highlighted and earmarked, words of prose, of exquisite dialogue, under the cocky bravado, under the high flying life of affluence, under the perfect comedic timing, and under the scorching hot interludes was a story that touched my heart. Abandonment issues, lost love, hurt feelings, desperation for something bigger than anything they've even known. There's a ethereal quality watching Henry and Evan's story unfold, watching their connection go from one of raw lust to something deeper, something more intrinsic, something so all consuming that it left them feeling simultaneously strong as a lion and weak as a mouse. No longer able to deny their connection, no longer able to tell themselves it was animalistic lust, or explosive chemistry meant with certainty that failing to discuss the changing dynamics of their relationship was no longer possible.

"I miss him. His laugh. His randomness. The way he can captivate me from across a room. The rush I felt when we were together. It was the closest thing to flying I've ever experienced with my feet on the ground."

I wanted to hate Henry, truly I did, I wanted to be unaffected by his charms, but the heady combination of Evan and Henry, of Levee and Sam, of Carter, the raw explosive chemistry that leapt off the page and incinerated everything in sight, the heartbreaking honesty of facing everyone of your fears, everyone of your past hurts, the terrifying fear of opening yourself up to someone else, of giving them your heart and asking them not to break it left me reeling as I turned the last page, The Spiral Down isn't just MM, nor is it rock star romance, nor is it anyone thing, it's requires no labels because none of them can do it justice, put simply this is a book about soaring without wings.






Start back where it all began The Fall Up

About Aly Martinez:





Born and raised in Savannah, Georgia, Aly Martinez is a stay-at-home mom to four crazy kids under the age of five- including a set of twins. Currently living in South Carolina, she passes what little free time she has reading anything and everything she can get her hands on, preferably with a glass of wine at her side.

Connect with Aly on Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment