BACK TO TOP

Sunday 19 April 2015

Down The Shore - T Torrest - ARC Review

 
 

Blurb:

Livia Chadwick is a photographer by day and a self-proclaimed rock slut by night.

Her dating life is a lack lustre parade of evasive jerks and her boss is an unrelenting nightmare of a human being. What else can a girl do but rent a beach house with her girlfriends and blow off a little steam every weekend? But hey, she’s from Jersey. Barhopping down the shore all season is sort of mandatory. All is going according to plan… until she meets Jack.

Jack Tanner is a contractor-turned-musician in a small-town cover band suddenly thrust into the limelight. He’s already had enough of the rock-and-roll lifestyle, and groupies have never been his thing. Then again… there’s a gorgeous brunette in the audience tonight, checking him out with the most incredible green eyes he’s ever seen.

She's looking for a fling.
He's looking for forever.

It’s gonna be one helluva summer.


Set in the summer of 1995, Down the Shore takes the reader on a tour through some of the Jersey shore’s hottest hot spots over one, sleepless, flannel-clad summer. It’s a look back to a time when the music was groundbreaking, the rock clubs were king, and bar bands ruled the world. Read when you're in the mood for: something light, funny, romantic, beachy, and nostalgic. For ages 18+.

***Not recommended for anyone under the age of 18, and/or any readers who are slut-shamers, guido sympathizers, beach haters or anti-music. Other people who should walk away from this book immediately: Readers who have sticks up their butts regarding offensive language, those who don't like detailed sex in their stories, idiots who think "Jersey Shore" has anything to do with actual New Jerseyans, and anyone who can't appreciate pop-culture from the mother-effing nineties.***

Goodreads

"All the other seasons pale in comparison to the excitement and freedom of summer. It’s the one time of year when I can cut loose and feel like a kid again. Before the responsibilities, before the soul-crushing pressure of trying to figure out my future. I can forget about my crappy job; I can forget about my even crappier love life.

Summer is my superpower."


 Livia Chadwick.


Excerpt:



I test the waters, skimming a hand between us and sliding my palm against the front of his shorts.

He doesn’t push me away.

Instead, he groans against my mouth and drives his hips into my hand, gripping my ass closer to his body. It’s a fairly impressive piece of equipment he’s working with over there, and I am more than thrilled to have it writhing against my palm.

Just as I tuck my thumbs into the waistband of his shorts, he tears his mouth from mine in a frustrated grunt, his hands braced against my shoulders.

He can’t even meet my eyes as he says, “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have, uh...”

Goddammit. This horseshit again? I can’t take it anymore.

“What the hell, Jack? Why don’t you want to have sex with me?”

I’m trying very hard not to let any hurt show. But hurt I am.

He runs a hand through his hair and growls, “It’s not that I don’t want to. Believe me, I want to very much.”

“So, what are you? Some sort of straight-edger or something?”

Jack chuckles to himself and answers, “No.”

“Closeted gay?”

“No.”

“A virgin?”

“No. Not at all. Trust me, in the old days, there was never anything virtuous about me. But I’m done being that guy.”

“Well, then you seriously misread this situation. Because I’m not done being that girl.”

He crosses his arms over his chest and stares me down. “You don’t really mean that.”

“You don’t know me well enough to make such an assessment.”

“I know you’ve had boyfriends. It’s not always party time for you.”

Huh. Looks as though someone has been doing his recon. I put my hands on my hips and give a huff. “So... what? You want to be my boyfriend?”

A sly grin cracks his face at that. He steps too close, and I catch a whiff of his smoky, shaving-cream scent as he lowers his head and nudges his lips against my ear. “Are you asking?”
 

 Kristine's Review:

Reviewed: April 2015.
 
The Remember When series by T Torrest is still one of my favourites, Trip and Layla have engrained themselves in my heart and soul, and I have spent countless hours reading and rereading their story. When news of Down The Shore hit social media I was instantly intrigued, and I have to say that Torrest does not disappoint. From the first line I was hooked, by the third page invested, I couldn't have put this book down if I had wanted to. 

Livia Chadwick spends her days as a photographer and her nights and weekends seeking out musicians and rock shows, showing her appreciation for their ability with her body. Her life is one of mediocrity, the only bright spots are her passion for music and being part of that world. Along with her sister and girlfriends Livia, rents a house on the beach for the summer, where she can escape to every weekend to party, blow off some steam and maybe even a summer fling or two.

Jack Tanner is a contractor turned musician. His world suddenly looks very different when his cover band is thrust into the limelight, he's had enough of groupies, the rock and roll lifestyle and all that comes along with it. When he see's a gorgeous brunette in the crowd, and finally speaks to her, he's positive he's found someone he could have a real connection with. Unfortunately Livia is only looking for a little fun, and a way to say thank you for the music.

What follows is a story that had me so invested that I couldn't put Down The Shore down, the perfect blend of funny and heartfelt, of drama and angst, of quiet reflective thought and hope for the future. Livia was a heroine I could connect with, she's pretended that she's happy, that she's content with her place in the world, but until she's forced to look inward she's never really questioned her work, her lifestyle. I adored that Torrest always steps outside of the norm with her characters, I loved that Livia isn't what I would of expected, and I adored that Jack wasn't the manwhore rockstar that so many books portray. I was quick to connect with both Jack and Livia, I was instantly drawn into their world, I was transported back in time to 1995 and I loved every second of it.

Torrest has quickly become an instant 1click for me, her writing style is effortlessly engaging, I desperately want to know more about each character she writes, I'm invested immediately, and never want to let these characters go, she writes the kind of books I immediately want to start over when I finish them because I'm not ready to say goodbye yet, her stories are quirky, fun, sexy and yet always heartfelt, there's a deeper connection I feel when reading, that I know these people, that these characters could very well be my friends, creating the feeling that I'm living their journey not just a reader sitting at home turning pages on a book. Torrest has certainly cemented herself as an author to watch, and one I never fail to recommend.
 
 


 



 Purchase Links:


 US http://amzn.to/1JgTcUl

UK http://amzn.to/15kjGFc

AU http://amzn.to/1JgTcUl

 

About T Torrest:

 
T. Torrest is a New Adult fiction writer from the U.S. She has written many books, but prays that only a handful of them will ever see the light of day. Her stories are geared toward readers of any age that know how to enjoy a good laugh and a dreamy romance.

Ms. Torrest was a child of the eighties, but has since traded in her Rubik's cube for a laptop and her Catholic school uniform for a comfy pair of yoga pants. She likes pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. She's not much into health food, but she does enjoy talking about herself in the third person.

A lifelong Jersey girl, she currently resides there with her husband and two sons.

She also LOVES to get friend requests on goodreads and facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/TTorres... and personal messages from readers via email ttorrest@optonline.net.

Other Books by T Torrest: 

 
 
Remember When Amazon US: http://amzn.com/B00AUV1R42
 
Remember When Two Amazon US:  http://amzn.com/B00DHP7SEQ
 
Remember When Three Amazon US: http://amzn.com/B00DHP7SEQ
 
Breaking The Ice Amazon US: http://amzn.com/B00R4QFW9M
 
 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment