BACK TO TOP

Sunday 16 August 2015

Not Just Another Romance Novel by Lisa Suzanne - ARC Review

 
Released: 27th August 2015 

Blurb:

Is it really wrong to have more than one boyfriend?

I brought a new one into my bed almost every night.

From conference rooms to broom closets, I escaped reality with my leading men. Okay, so they were fictional book boyfriends.

In reality I should have been concentrating on classes while I looked for a living, breathing man to help me achieve my romantic fantasies. It was a friend who suggested combining my passions for romance novels and psychology to generate my Master's thesis research topic: Does the modern day romance novel leading man create unrealistic expectations for a prolonged adult relationship?

To find out, I’d run a social experiment. I’d be the constant. The variables would be my leading men. I’d date every stereotype in the books, from billionaires to bad boys, rock stars to bikers, dominants, athletes, and…my stepbrother?

If my research was successful, I'd end up with a degree and maybe even my very own happy ending.

Goodreads

 
 

Kristine's Review:

Reviewed: August 2015.
 


There's such an interesting concept to Not Just Another Romance Novel, one myself as a romance reader I've often pondered, I mean I'm a happily married woman but even I can admit I've quietly thought to myself at times why can't all men be like those I read about? Hell, show me a book addict who hasn't read a swoon worthy line at one point and thought why can't my boyfriend/lover/husband say something like that, we've all gotten weak at the knee's imagining our very own Dominant/rock star/sports star/bad boy biker/best friend/cowboy/billionaire/teacher/step brother... Well maybe not step brother pulling out the dirty talk and seducing us with their alpha male tendencies... don't lie I know you have... My kryptonite in contemporary romance is frienemies/friends to lovers, because I know it's possible, my husband and I couldn't stand each other when we first met, then we became friends, then we... well you can gather the rest, there was a ring, a white dress and building a life and home together.

Piper is a currently completing her Masters in Pyschology, something else I shared an affinity with her about because I majoring in psychology at University, I adored the way she analysed the human mind, the human condition, so her thesis combining her two loves, psychology and interpersonal relationships along with reading and contemporary romance this book checked all the boxes.

Piper has had little time to focus on romance in her own life, she studies constantly, has book boyfriends aplenty and has her best friend Scott and her study group Austin and Shannon, life is good, stressful but good, but when she decides to base her thesis on whether the men in books can give the female reader unrealistic expectations of men in real life, using herself as the constant in her social experience things start to get a little messy.

Suddenly she's looking at Scott as more than just her best friend, there's gorgeous men popping out of the woodwork, and she's dabbling in a dating game that could either lead to her happily ever after or her destruction. Not Just Another Romance Novel was a lot of fun, it was a fast paced adventure into not only college life and the dating game but a sweet take on having something or someone sitting in front of you and without truly realising they were there. Laugh out loud funny moments, obstacles that kept throwing themselves in the way of true love and several sexy leading men kept me laughing and swooning throughout.

There wasn't anything I didn't enjoy about this story, Lisa Suzanne kept me invested and wanting more, my only sad moment was turning the last page, knowing Piper's story was coming to an end, I'm hoping we'll see more of Austin, Shannon, and Scott.
 
 


Purchase Links:

Amazon US: http://amzn.to/1fKb1ks


About Lisa Suzanne:



Lisa Suzanne started handwriting her books on yellow legal pads after she took a creative writing class in high school. She still has those legal pads full of stories, but now one of them is published under the title How He Really Feels. She currently works as a full time high school English teacher, and her favorite part of the year is summer. She has been blessed with the world’s best dog, a supportive family, and a husband who encouraged her to publish after reading one of her novels. She likes the advice of Ernest Hemingway’s famous quote, “Write drunk. Edit sober.”
Website



No comments:

Post a Comment