BACK TO TOP

Wednesday 21 January 2015

Kismet by A.E. Woodward - Review


Blurb:

Katie’s world came crashing down in an instant.

Her husband, daughter, and unborn baby. . . all gone in a flash. The life that she’d come to know, gone before she ever really got to live it.

With a broken heart, she deals the only way she knows how, by shutting it all off. No communicating, no feelings, just pure nothingness.

Alone with nothing but her own thoughts and a well meaning family, she moves back to her childhood home, a horse farm. It’s there that she finds herself healing along with the horses her family rehabilitates. But when Parker McKenzie comes back into her life she’s reminded of all that went wrong, and all that she lost.

Will Katie ever begin to heal? Or will her secrets and loss be too much for her to overcome?

Perhaps, this is her kismet.





Kristine's Review:

Reviewed: January 2015




It's taken me roughly eight months to write this review, four rereads after my first time, countless tissues, more bottles of wine then I would like to admit and I'm still struggling to put into words how profound an impact this book, Woodward's story has had on my life.

So what's it about Katie has finally found her forever, with Michael and her new born baby, she finally experiences what pure, unadulterated love is, until an accident takes it all away from her in the blink of an eye and she is left a window, childless, alone. Returning to her childhood home, broken, defeated and alone, Katie has come to accept that this is what her life is now, darkness, grief, pain, so consuming, so overwhelming that the further she retreats into herself, the more difficult it is to find her way out of the emptiness that surrounds her. When Parker McKenzie waltzes back into her life, she is again reminded of all the pain and all that she has endured.

Kismet broke me in a way that so few books have, the visceral reaction I had to reading Woodwards words, left it's footprints on my heart, it touched me in such a profound way that I felt it in my bones, in my soul. You're probably wondering why a book I reacted to so strongly I would rate so highly, but isn't this why we read, to escape our own reality if only for a little while, to FEEL something, and my God...I FELT everything reading Kismet. Sorrow, despair, helplessness, emptiness, but I also felt joy, and contentment, and a sense of hope so powerful and so strong, that I took time to look at my life, to truly appreciate what I have, and to be thankful, and for someone's words to bring you to your knee's, to make you stop and take stock of your life, then for me an author has not only done their job but they have exceeded every literary dream I have when I sit down and open to the first page.

The sheer elegance of Woodward's words, her ability to connect with the reader, to grab you by the collar and to demand you sit up and take notice, to hold you captive as she weaves a story of hurt and pain, and ultimately love and hope held me spellbound as I savoured every single line, writing this review is bittersweet, it's been eight long months in the process, trying to deliver something that gives you some idea of how deeply I connected with Kismet, I am sad that it's over, but so unbelievably thankful for the journey.









 Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ICC52R4/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?qid=1421321537&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70




No comments:

Post a Comment